Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Scatter barricades


I wanted to try my hand at throwing together some quick and dirty barricades using tongue depressors as the base.

So I did, lol.

Here's the finished products:



I started with the desire to make them look like they'd been built out of scraps from the battlefield. I used mainly bits of sprue, styrene, soda cans that were run through my crimper and some bits and toy parts I had kicking around. Oh, and my hand made razor wire.. I've completely switched to a slight modification on the technique I found on Shifting Lands. It's time consuming but I like the result!



And I made this fence... not sure how I feel about it at this point.


Added the standard grit, rocks and debris and got undercoating





Then the final painting commenced. As I don't have an airbrush I decided to try the rust technique Tinker Terrain talks about in some of his YouTube videos (look it up, pretty cool).

I had to try a modified version as I couldn't find any peelable solder mask so I ended up going for some more expensive artists painting mask called frisket. It's a bit more of a pain to peel than the solder mask he uses in his videos but it gives a similar effect and with more practice it might look pretty damn good.








By this time I discovered that I hated this fence. And that the tongue depressors need special care to prevent/counter warping which was making the mesh hang even looser which... ...meh. Not my favourite.



At the same time I tried to improve my original sci-fi piece the crater/exploded building corner








That's about it. These were quick to do - by far the most time consuming part was waiting for PVA to dry.

Whaddaya think?

No comments:

Post a Comment