Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Molding and casting and molding and casting and...


So I wanted to get into a little more detail on my building interiors and exteriors.

I figured a good way to do that would be to make some masters, mold and cast them and then modify the master and mold it again repeatedly to get some variation.

Here's what went down...


Made myself some doors out of styrene using this bad boy from Silhouette (which was obtained at a super discounted price) to make precise cuts as it's something I struggle with



Popped out all the pieces and glued them together and presto! Some doors (and a couple of crappy windows out of outcuts and spare pieces)


Got to molding them with some silicone from Smooth On...


Et voila! Some doors.


I also wanted to do some building accent pieces and architectural features. In the process I discovered I'm not that good a sculptor yet which is making me think about looking into some cheap dollhouse accents made out of wood (or making some) and casting those... we'll see





The pile grows!


And then I got into sidewalk pieces for my storage yard build.



Much fun was had and now I can simply cast up more as required which is super handy and saves a lot of time over making each piece from scratch everytime.

A vacuum degasser would probably allow slightly better results with this stuff (less bubbles and preventing the occasional bad cast) but I see it more as a nice, but not 100% necessary to have piece of gear and can't justify picking one up right now.

Cheerio!

3 comments:

  1. Hey ho,

    If your getting bubbles in that sort of open mold I'd suggest using a lower viscosity resin..... Smooth-on make a rapid setting resin called F18. I was really happy with the results.

    Oh, and great work on the modular building pieces. I should get around to doing some myself someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you add a "follower" button on your blog too, it'll make keeping up with your hobby progress easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casting your own terrain bits seems like it'd be a lot of fun. I really like the doors and sidewalks but all the pieces are cool because you made them and cast them! I'd like to try casting my own creations at some point. I was thinking about pouches, different weapons and other types gear to add on to my RTB01 Imperial Space Marines. I've a tiny amount of casting experience using Prince August molds and mould metal.

    ReplyDelete